National Jr. Honor Society
NJHS Service Requirements
Members are required to give 15 hours of service to the school during the school year. These hours are documented on a service log and it is the student’s responsibility to get the form filled out and turned in on time. A certain number of hours will be devoted to specific projects and the rest will be the member’s choice (general hours). Many students complete general hours by helping with events and activities such as: taking tickets for sporting events, running concession stands, or helping at the elementary buildings parent night and after school programs. Other opportunities will become available throughout the year, and students are always free to contact teachers to see who needs help.
Monthly meetings are mandatory; a written note is required for absences. A regular day (such as the last Tuesday of the month) will be chosen by the general membership. Students who have other school activities the same day will be able to work with the other coach/sponsor to attend at least part of the NJHS meeting. All members must dress up on after school meeting days.
NJHS is a student-run organization; the officers hold positions of great responsibility. In addition to the regular meetings, officers meet the week before to set the agenda and discuss the coming meeting. The following jobs will be filled by student members:
- The president will run the meetings in accordance with Rules of Order. He/She will create an agenda prior to each meeting with the help of the other officers. She/He will organize projects as needed.
- The vice president will run the meetings in the president’s absence and assist the other officers as needed. He/She will assist on projects as needed.
- The secretary will take accurate minutes at each meeting, including meetings of the officers, and present the minutes from the previous meeting. He/She will complete correspondence for the chapter. He/She will take attendance at meetings. He/She will assist on projects as needed.
- The treasurer will keep all financial records pertaining to the chapter. This will include collecting the dues, collecting any field trip fees, and keeping track of expenditures. He/She will work with the adviser to deposit money with the school bookkeeper and make purchases. He/She will assist on projects as needed.
- The public relations officer will help keep students up to date with upcoming information and events. They will update the NJHS news board by the office and write articles about our events for local newspapers.