PEER TO PEER
Many parents have stated that bullying seems to be high. HMS is in the process of starting a Peer to Peer Program to help lessen the bully rate. This program teaches empathy and provides an opportunity for all students to strengthen their confidence.
Parents have the greatest opportunity for building their children’s self-esteem. A child who feels good about himself or herself is more likely to be successful at school and in life. Here are some tips of building your child’s self-esteem:
- Praise your child often. Offer praise in front of other family members and friends.
- Include your child in family discussions. Listen to what your child has to say and show respect for his or her thoughts and opinions.
- Do not compare your child to other children. Accept your child’s short comings and give positive recognition for his or her strengths.
- Tell your child you love him or her.
- Let your child know that you understand his or her feelings.
- Let your child know that you will be there for him or her whenever your child has a problem or worry.
- Leave notes with special messages for your child----when you leave the house, in your child’s lunch bag or under his or her pillow.
- Around Thanksgiving time and throughout the year, thank your child for being so special.
Reminder: Michigan has adopted a Truancy Bill. Attendance is critical to ensure students are learning. Teachers can't teach your child if your child isn't in school. Please make your best efforts to get your child to school. If your child's absenses are excessive they will be unexcused without proper documentation.
If your child is absent from school, we require a note from home explaining the reason for the absence when your child returns to school.
If you call requesting homework to be sent home, it will be available only after 3:03pm on the day it is requested.
The school day beings at 8:00 am. Please see that your child is here by 8:00 am to avoid being marked tardy.
Breakfast is served from 7:40 am until 8:15 am.
The students are released at 3:03 pm daily.